Wednesday, August 12, 2009

IS exercise crucial to weight loss???

I'm on Twitter and I follow a variety of people, two of them being Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels of The Biggest Loser fame.

Bob tweeted the following this morning:

BobHarperAnthem: I'm upset with the front page of Time Magazine. Exercise is crucial to weight loss and more importantly, A HEALTHY HEART!!!

Here's a link if your interested:

twitter.com/BobHarperAnthem

Well, at first glance I was like, sure, you need exercise. But then, on second thought, do you really, REALLY need it?

Time Magazine's cover: tinyurl.com/m86y9f

Well, here's my answer and I'm no professional and feel free to take aim at me. I say you don't need exercise to lose weight. Losing weight is a numbers game and if all you're after is weight loss, you can accomplish this by reducing your calories. Diet is about 80% of the weight loss equation, isn't it?

Now, I'm a literal person. While you don't need exercise to lose weight, you sure as shoot need it to have a healthy heart.

I tried to think of this as Bob Harper might be seeing it. He's a major member of the cast on a hugely popular weight-loss reality show. The major focus of the show is the workouts in the gym and what the trainers put the contestants through. So the skeptic in me says of course he'll say exercise is crucial, otherwise that show looks pretty hypocritical and it'll be pretty boring show based on food.

But then, he knows more about the weight loss game than me, it's his expertise and exercise IS crucial to a healthy heart so I'd be po'd @ Time for putting the idea out there that people don't need to exercise to lose weight because the exercise is beneficial whether you want/need to lose weight or not.

I haven't read the article and I may or may not read it if I even remember after I type this blog. One thing's for certain. Exercise, aerobic exercise, is crucial for a healthy heart (and other things, I know that for sure)!

Don't be lazy, move your buttttttt!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment